Wednesday, July 3, 2013

MOCA Bangkok

The first thing I do when exploring a new city is find a grocery store that sells a good aged cheddar. The second thing I do is find the contemporary art museum. Bangkok did not disappoint. The privately owned MOCA Bangkok is a cathedral for contemporary, neo-Buddhist artwork. A small portion of the collection focuses on secular Thai life, while the bulk of the works focus on Buddhism and dharma in contemporary Thai culture.

The prize work is a tryptech called "The Hereafter," depicting the three stations of the soul: the Human Realm, The Celestial Realm, and the Unfortunate Realm. The twenty six foot tall piece does not disappoint.

My personal favorites fused traditional Buddhisrt themes and Mark Ryden-esque surrealism. I've added shots below. I'll happily return to the MOCA when you art lovers and archie nerds come to visit.

 
I
 

Prateep Kochabua's "Churning of the Milk Ocean"

Sompong Adusarabhan "The New Fossil Fair"
 

 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. you're convincing me we need to plan a visit (and consequently, start saving some dollars!). maybe a belated honeymoon next year...

    ReplyDelete